One Mans Tragedy Is Another Mans Comedy

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

A Tribute To My Favorite Instructor

This post is dedicated to my favorite instructor. I did most of my Flight Tests with him and I flew with him a lot towards the end of the course. He is one mean cold bad ass instructor feared by many. He is famous for his cold treatment toward students, thick accent + mumblings and is a racist that hates Malaysians. For almost 2 years in the flying school, I have only seen him smile twice (horny grin) , both toward girls..... it wasn't a pretty sight. We (the students) believe that he has no family nor friends, he was a loner.... drinking beer by himself at the corner of the bar. He is about 50+ years old and has a beer belly. At first sight, you could see that he was a fierce man with his bushy eyebrows and curly chest hair. There were rumours that he would go to Cambodia for holidays, because the service there is cheaper than in Thailand.

At the early stages of flying, I have heard stories about him and the how he treats students while flying. I was to experience it later in training. He gets pissed off easily when students does not understand a word that he is saying. "Learn some FOCKING English" or "do you UN-DER-STAND ENG-LISH?!?!" depends whether how much he hates you. Everyday he comes to work with a frowned face.... He wasn't very popular with the other fellow instructors too. One day, I was just flying around innocently by myself in the air. He went up to do a flight test with a student. Due to miscommunications, I sort of messed up his flight. "Academy 436, I'll see you on ground!" holy shit!... I was summoned into his office after the flight and he was questioning my ability to understand English. I got a warning after that.

My flight test was coming up, He was scheduled as my examiner. GEEZUZ CROISE!! It was my first flight test which would enable me to acquire a license to fly for leisure. He told me to demonstrate a forced landing. He job was to close the throttle and I had to pick a landing spot and glide all the way down to simulate an engine failure landing down to 200 feet and then climb back up again. He told me to aim for a dirt patch next to the road... as you expected I misunderstood him and aimed for the road. He shouted "WOT THE FOCK ARE YOU DOING!!?!? you are landing into an oncoming traffic!!". "But sir, you told me to land on the road" then I had to do it again. He asked me where the wind was coming from, I simply pointed and said "there". He asked me how I found out, I told him that I looked at the direction where the clouds are moving....... "BULLSHIT!!!!" The test was completed after a few other exercises and I was in his office for the de brief. He told me that I passed and I could fly my grandmother in an aircraft, but I killed my grandmother when I picked the road for a landing spot. What the fuck!?!?

Then later in training, I was scheduled again to do another 2 flight tests with him. One of them he fell asleep. On the other, I flew like shit and he was shit ass pissed off.... he was shouting like a madman... and he punched me twice on the arm. I wanted to report about him but I had second thoughts, what if I was to fly with him again?!?! FINE! I shall report when I complete my training which I totally forgot. A few days after the test, I was scheduled to fly with the bitch twice in a day and I was also assigned as his student, brilliant. D-Day has come... I said my prayers and went into the aircraft for the first flight of the day. He threatened to break my wrist and my hand on different occasions. I landed in one piece, had a break and went up with him again after a few hours. This time, I was doing much better and he did not shout at me.

That was his last flight before he leaves for his holiday to Cambodia I guess and I won't be seeing him anymore because my course was near to completion. I was glad he was on holiday and knew that I would finish my course before he returns from his leave. I entered his office and he de briefed me on that flight. He said "I see some improvement compared to the flight in the morning, YOU CAN FLY, YOU ARE NOT DUMB." Those were the last words he said to me, he actually praised me... can you believe it?!?!

10 Comments:

  • At 4:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    wwoohhoo..good blog..cant stop laughing..this site goes right in to my favourites toolbar..btw,how long does the aviation course take?after reading your experiences,i seem a tad interested..

     
  • At 5:52 PM, Blogger smuggy said…

    thanks a lot! it takes about 2 and a half years to complete the entire course..

     
  • At 7:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    geeweez~~ what course exactly were you doing? 2.5 yrs for a PPL?
    -sk-

     
  • At 7:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    and by the way, by all means report that weirdo instructor - he was effectively distracting PIC (i.e. you) in flight by punching you in the arm!!
    -sk-

     
  • At 4:44 AM, Blogger smuggy said…

    2.5 years for atpl... nahh.. too late for that.. most of the instructors there are like that anyway.. they were from military background

     
  • At 6:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    aha~ ATPL. and so you technically have more training to go, right? have fun with multi-engine rating, oh, and night VFR! =)

    mind me asking if that's for MH or AK?

    -sk-

     
  • At 1:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    great ler. sound like i m reading diaries of "chung siong wan siu" .. haha

     
  • At 4:36 PM, Blogger smuggy said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 4:37 PM, Blogger smuggy said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 12:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Haha.. I hated that instructor too.. He actually told some guy he likes malay girls. Espacially ... ****

    sk: He is flying for MH.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home